minute 42

While watching minute 42 over and over again I came to the conclusion that I have absolutely no idea how to deal with it. We said in class that the context of Decasia is continuously created because there is no context. This might be true but I'm not a creative short-story author nor am I a great filmmaker so what to do with 1 minute of confusion? Besides it is hard to ignore the influence of 41 other attempts to interpret any content. It might be interesting to see how far the perception differs when you ask people of different sex, age and interests, So I've asked my family and friends about their thoughts on minute 42 without giving them any background knowledge...

Adrian (24) law student: It's possible that the scene could play in Turkey because the guy in the first 15 seconds is wearing a traditional turkish hat. The bad quality in the second half of the film makes it close to impossible to say something about the story at all. It could be a dream. Maybe a dream about people who are dancing or an act of violence. The only thing I know is that the dramatic music and the bad quality are horrifying.

My mother (63) housewife: My first thought was the old black and white Dr. Frankenstein movie from the 1930ies. The guy with the hat is not Dr. Frankenstein himself. He is his assistant who stole the bodies from the cemetery. The first half shows them trying to bring a corps back to life again. The music symbolizes electricity and excitement. The second half could be the memory of the dead person. It's like her life is passing by before she comes to life again.
 
Lorena (23) student of romance studies:It reminds me of a scene out of a horror movie. The guy is trying to revive the woman in a mystical ceremony. The second half of the clip shows the happy memories the guy had with this woman.
 
Michael (27) executive consultant: I think the guy buries his beloved wife maybe he killed her before. The second half and the aggressive sound of the music might underline the circumstances of the crime. 
 
Krister (28) archaeologist: What the hell is that?


Julia-Madeleine Sandte