minute 02


Uh, look! Car rims! Must be a car factory...or a car rim factory...that is how they manufactured car rims back in the day? Why are they turning? Slowly turning to funny music...well, not really funny, more creepy music...if something or someone scares me right now I will probably freak out. Without this creepy music the minute would be pretty...normal...just car rims being build...but no, wait, I do not think that that is what it is...ah! I get it know! It is a textile factory...look at all the wool spinning in their wheels...so this film must have been like a documentary on how wool is processed...? But wouldn't there be any people who watch the machines or who explain the process? Nope, I do not see anyone there and I also do not see any wool there for that matter...so, what is it then? 
The creepy music sounds as if thousands of clowns are clonking spoons against different sized glasses...but they are not really in time with each other, there is no rhythm...so creepy...anyway, what the hell am I watching? No car rims, no wool...just turning silver things...oh great, now I have that song in my mind, that song with the wheels on the bus that go round and round, round and round, round and round...all through the town...that is going to be stuck in my head for days now...thanks a lot!

And now it says “hypnotic pictures presents” on the screen, yea...hypnotic is definitely the right word for what I am watching...and what do the hypnotic pictures present?...lets see...awesome...more car rims, or wool-spinning-wheels or whatever...ah ok, they present a Bill Morrison film...now I know the name of the director, or better creator...he did not direct the movies after all, he just put them together... .

The music is getting more intense, the clowns are getting nervous...or excited...about what? The spinning things? Hardly. Wait, are they also singing now?....The clowns, not the silver things...or what is that dark humming sound in the back? Maybe the clowns are in fact humming in unison...they are sad clowns...I can hear that much...why clowns anyway? It was the first thing I thought about when I heard the music. Clowns. I hate clowns.
Concentrate on the film, damn it! Lets continue watching...wasn't the film supposed to be damaged in some way? Well, it is not...not really...the picture is quite clear, it just looks a tiny bit blurred and outdated. Obviously...the film is black and white but besides that the picture is good...but I still cannot figure out what those spinning silver things are. At this point, I am just starring HYPNOTIZED on the screen...damn those hypnotic pictures! They were successful...I can't stop looking at those spinning things...and I am picturing a choir and orchestra of clowns somewhere behind the camera, with their spoons and glasses, looking all sad and scary...
Ok, FOCUS! Wait, what is that? What is moving between the wheels and the big box behind them, whatever that is...that is not important right now, lets first figure out what those round things are and the thing that is coming from it...it looks like...ah, damn it! Minutes over! Lets watch it again and this time remember what you just discovered. If I am right about my groundbreaking discovery this whole minute makes sense at last.
Now watch the film, watch it...there it is again! Yes! I understand finally! Of course! How can someone be so stupid and not figure out what it is...seriously...it is filmstrip, duh! And that makes the turning silver things filmcases! Yay! I solved the mystery that was not even a mystery. But if you have no idea what to expect of course you will be confused, at least if you are not used to this kind of procedure and not used to film material that looks like that...Today, the movies come in form of DVDs and not in form of filmstrips anymore...
But the clowns must be super jealous that I beat them...now they can stop their creepy performance, ah good...they did, minutes over again...lets watch in one more time to understand the whole minute...
Throughout the minute, I am watching filmcases that are turning so that the filmstrip is rolled up or uncoiled...maybe the filmstrip is being produced right now or it is already used...I feel like the latter is more likely since the whole point of the minute I am watching is to show what happens to film that is not stored accordingly over the years...well, whatever...it still looks like car rims to me... 

Susan Wolters